Sunday, November 11, 2012

howling dogs

Random Thought: "This is the first time I have seen a Wall of Text implemented so purposefully and perfectly."



This was the last of the CYOA games on my list, and I have to say, they went out with a bang. This one was absolutely a work of art, something created out of love and drive and vision, and not necessarily to serve the player or to hold your hand. It felt like I was being invited to participate in something fantastic, to watch the vision unfold. And that vision was never fully revealed, but it was amazingly fascinating to watch, to guess, to try and piece together. While asking the player to be dragged along for your creative vision can be a dangerous premise for a game, I felt that helplessness instilled in me made everything all the more interesting.

Were each of the situations true stories? What was the purpose? Were there right answers? Did it matter? What was the photograph? Everything felt so strange, creepy and engrossing, that I was left with a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. I feel that the author completely hit their mark, and while I can't quite describe what that mark was, I was fascinated to be along for the journey. I would have liked some more enlightenment, but I feel that's what the game wants me to want.

It perfectly accomplished what it set out to do (I think), and I could find no faults.

10/10

1 comment: