Thursday, November 1, 2012

Irvine Quik and the Search for for the Fish of Traglea

Random Thought: "Does anybody remember Legend of the River King?"

I know wacky adventures are a staple of IF Games, but I'm not a terribly big fan. Or at least, I have more precise standards for something to impress me and not just feel overly cheesey. Also I feel that wacky adventures tend to lack consistency or rules, where anything goes and the solutions don't make much sense. I feel that perhaps Quik maintains that necessary consistency (it went through the trouble of introducing me to game mechanics) I wasn't really taken in by the writing or the mechanics. I went through a rollercoaster of emotions when it came to HiRBy. First I was kind of annoyed by having to "take" things twice, then I was excited that perhaps this was a plot device that would allow me to take things out of my reach, and carry things way past my physical limit. That hope was dashed when my character reached his inventory limit. I thought perhaps HiRBy would redeem himself by being endearing. Then I ran into a situation where HiRBy wouldn't give me a sheet, and it wouldn't say why. The game seemed to imply that HiRBy was playing coy with me, or perhaps I had run into an inventory full issue, but at any rate, I felt like I was struggling against the game mechanics to do what I wanted, instead of feeling like feeling like the game was working with me. Then the captain fainted, and it all felt a little too silly for me to suspend disbelief or get into, and I decided to move on. First unfinished (on purpose) game of the season. Sorry! :(

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment